Welcome to Year 4
Teachers: Mrs Berry (Sunstone Class)
Miss Grace (Topaz Class)
Miss Wood (Tiger’s Eye)
Each class has different days for PE, so please check the individual class page for details. Please ensure your child has a change of footwear for each of these days and that all jewellery (including earrings are removed) Please send your child in with a bottle of water every day, clearly labelled with their name.
Homework is set each week (Sunstone on Tuesday, Topaz on Wednesday and Tiger’s Eye on Thursday) and is expected to be completed by the following week.
Children are asked to:
- Read at home at least 3 times a week
- Learn weekly spellings
- Complete a weekly Mathletics task
- Learn Times Tables using Multiplication Monster on Purple Mash
Our topics this year are:
- Ancient Greece
- Where in the World?
- Ancient Rome
- Local Study: Colchester
- Weather and Rivers
To access any of these websites please use the following links:
These additional websites will be used to help support the children throughout the year.
Year 4 Multiplication Test
You may be aware that from June 2020 there is a new test for year 4 children called the “Multiplication Tables Check.” Here’s what you need to know:
Under the national curriculum primary school children are expected to know up to and including their 12 times tables by the end of Year 4. We’ve been preparing students to know their times tables by the end of Year 4 for quite some time now and are not concerned about the check at all.
The check itself:
- Will take place in the Summer term in June.
- Is done online using a computer or tablet.
- Can be done one student at a time, in groups or as a class.
- Will take no longer than 5 minutes.
- Will feature 25 questions and children will have 6 seconds to answer each question.
- There isn’t any problem solving or division questions, just simple “3 x 4 =?” type questions
Here are some resources that you can use to support your child in developing a sound knowledge of all their times tables up to 12 x 12. We strongly encourage you to work closely with your child on using these resources if your child is struggling with recalling their times tables knowledge.
Thank you for your support