Welcome to Year 6
In Year 6 we have 3 classes: Diamond, Peridot & Sapphire Class
Sapphire Class Teacher: Mrs Barber
Diamond Class Teacher: Miss Retigan
Peridot Class Teacher: Mr Lynn
Due to Covid 19, there are staggered start and finish times for each class in Year 6.
- Sapphire – Starting 9.05am, finishing 3.20pm
- Diamond - Starting 9.10am, finishing 3.25pm
- Peridot - Starting 9.00am, finishing 3.15pm
PE days are:
Monday – all Year 6 classes
Wednesday – Sapphire class
Thursday – Diamond and Peridot class.
Please see the long-term plan below to see what PE activities we will cover. The activities may be subject to change depending upon changing Covid19 guidelines.
- PE kit is not required for PE lessons as it is difficult for the children to change due to Covid 19 restrictions. If parents wish to send in a PE kit, then they can and the child will be allowed to change for PE. Pupils have to be able to change themselves without assistance.
- Pupils can bring a separate pair of trainers to change out of school shoes if they wish to, if their school shoes are trainers then this isn’t a problem. Black trainers for learning, black or white for PE.
- PE kit will need to be sent home every week to be washed and returned
In Year 6, we encourage the children to develop their independent skills, whilst offering them the support they require to progress their learning. We use a range of strategies to help pupils improve their writing, for instance, ‘Screen to Page’ whereby we use film to enhance the children’s writing and ‘Talk for Writing’, which includes a structured approach to learning a story through easy to remember story maps and plans, pupils then use these to write their own version of the stories they have learned. These methods have had extremely positive results and the children, and adults are very proud of the writing that has been produced.
We teach Maths in a whole class setting. Children are encouraged to develop their independence whilst challenging their mathematical ability. Maths lessons cover a range of different topics and develop written and mental methods for all four operations throughout the year. A big focus for Year 6 pupils is to help them develop rapid recall of strategies and basic skills (e.g. times tables, money, telling the time) so that they can show their maths knowledge not only through the SATs tests at the end of the year, but so that they can use these skills for the future.
The topics we are covering in Year 6 can be seen on the long term plan (below).
The homework expectations are as follows and pupils will need to access online resources to complete their homework. Mathletics, Reading Eggs, Purple Mash and myON are interactive, child friendly programs that can be accessed via the internet on any device.
Homework will be set based on the level your child is working at. Each week, class teachers will upload information regarding homework to their class blog on Purple Mash. For pupils unable to access online resources, please contact your child’s class teacher so that alternative arrangements can be made.
Each child will:
- Read at home at least 3 times a week via myON.
- Learn their weekly spellings on Purple Mash and they will be tested on the spellings they have learned the following week.
- Complete Mathletics tasks set by their teacher.
- Complete Reading Eggs tasks set by their teacher.
- Practise times tables. This could be done on Purple Mash Monster Multiplication if the children wish to use this.
In Year 6 after half term, we will be offering free Booster classes after school These classes help pupils to improve and prepare for the SAT's tests at the end of Year 6. The classes cover aspects of Reading, Writing and Maths. Further details about these classes will be sent out soon.